Housing Stability Program
The Housing Stability Program (HSP) assists low-income households who are at risk of homelessness or are currently homeless to secure housing or to help prevent eviction. North House staff will help you navigate this process.
- HSP is intended to assist households who are normally able to pay their expenses, but due to unforeseen circumstances are unable to meet their costs for a short period of time or must move to secure more affordable accommodations.
- You may only access HSP assistance once in a 2-year period (24 months) for the application you have been approved for. Which means, if you have been approved for Last Month’s Rent, you are still eligible to receive Rental Arrears, Moving Cost, and Utility Arrears.
- You must provide proof that all family members are legal Canadian residents and that you have lived in Durham Region for at least three months.
- Your housing must be covered under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. Shared living arrangements with the landlord, transitional housing, group homes, retirement homes, long term care homes, etc. will not be accepted.
- Your housing must be affordable (spending less than 80% of your gross household income towards accommodation costs).
- Your household assets must be under the asset limit:
• Single person – $50,000
• All other households – $75,000
- Your gross household income* is under the program income limits:
• $42,000 Single person
• $47,000 Two people
• $53,000 Three people
• $71,000 Four or more people
*Includes all income sources (Child Tax Benefits, Child Support, Trillium)
- All documentation has been provided (please refer to checklist below)
Applications will be processed in three to five business days after all required forms and proof have been received.
Required Documents for All Applications
- Proof of current gross combined income for all members of the household (i.e. two most recent paystubs, most recent OW or ODSP stub or a letter from your worker confirming amount of assistance, etc.).
- Proof of the value of all declared assets including the most recent 60-day (2 month) bank statement from all household members.
- Copy of one piece of government issued ID for all household members.
- Completed Housing Stability application with signatures of applicant and if applicable, co-applicant(s).
- Proof of current rental arrears in the form of an N4, C4 or L1 from the landlord or property management company, and/or any Landlord and Tenant Board documents received to date, including any orders.
- Proof that rent or mortgage is in good standing and paid up to date (If you are also applying for rent arrears this portion does not apply to you).
- If you are a homeowner, please provide proof of mortgage outstanding on the property. You will need to provide a Municipal Property Taxes Assessment (MPAC) in order for our office to determine assets for the household. This can be obtained by calling MPAC at 1 866 296-6722.
- Copy of the utility/energy bill showing arrears and if applicable, any disconnect notices.
- Intent to Rent form completed by the landlord, or a copy of the Ontario Standard Lease
- You paid last month’s rent at your current address.
- You have already paid last month’s rent deposit or moved in/obtained the keys to the new unit (Please allow sufficient time for your application to be reviewed).
- Intent to Rent form completed by the Landlord, or copy of the Ontario Standard Lease. Please be sure to include the reason for your move.